Argumentative Essay: It's Time To Go To College

1247 Words 5 Pages
In 2010, President Barack Obama said in his State of the Union Address, “[I]n the United States of America, no one should go broke because they chose to go to college” (“Notable Quotes”). But unfortunately in today’s world, many students graduate college with a good deal of debt. This is a problem, and the recent presidential election has caused more in-depth debate about this issue. Many people believe that college should be free, but there are also those who believe it is something that should be paid for in full by the student. With college tuition prices on the rise, and in the declining state of the economy, many people do not realize how hard it is for poor and middle class students to graduate with little or no loans. They do not acknowledge …show more content…
College students spend a lot of time studying, but in addition, they need to work one or two jobs to help pay for their studies. Also, according to Goldrick-Rab, 55 percent of students make financial contributions to their family, while still having to pay for college. Free tuition would ease the burden on these students, plus many more students. This would likewise help students graduate on time, rather than having to graduate later than normal because of financial limitations. Making two year college free would help many students focus on their studies and graduate on …show more content…
They argue that the program would not truly be free, and they are correct. The program would most likely use tax dollars to pay for it. One person even argues that college does not make much of a difference— she says that 36 percent of students do not appear to show any improvement in learning when they go to college (Brandt). But what about the other 64 percent; don’t they deserve an easier path to education? In various European countries, like Germany, tuition is free. One source states that “[a]s of 2014, all German public universities offer free tuition” (Sadeghi). Even though you would need to learn another language, it is a much better deal for college then what we have in America— so why shouldn’t we have free tuition as well? If we want to have a better future for America, we need to consider having free tuition at two year community

Related Documents