Promote Equality and Inclusion in Health, Social Care or Children and Young People’s Settings
What is meant by Equality, Inclusion and Diversity?
Equality: Equality of opportunity, giving each person opportunities which are equal to others in society regardless of race, gender or disability.
Inclusion: A process of identifying, understanding and breaking down barriers to participation and belonging.
Diversity: A wide range of characteristics and backgrounds, including social and cultural backgrounds, different religions, colours of skin, hair types and disabilities. Such diversity contributes to the strength of a community.
Describe Potential effects of discrimination.
Discrimination can affect people on a physical, …show more content…
Inclusive practice allows opportunities for each child to flourish as an individual. Through ensuring that a diverse range of children and families have the opportunity to participate in every aspect of how we run our nursery setting we are supporting such diversity.
This can be done through a variety of practices such as:
• Extending children’s (as well as staff’s) understanding of people like themselves and those who are different to them selves and giving them opportunities to talk about these differences.
• Creating positive attitudes towards diversity and helping children develop respectful attitudes towards difference.
• Modelling inclusive practice
• Activities that embrace a variety of foods, celebrations, clothes and languages from around the world.
• Toys that promote diversity, such as dolls that have hearing aids or wear Kimono’s or Sari’s.
• Having an open door policy.
• Creating opportunities for all children to celebrate their cultural background.
Through such activities we can begin to create an environment free from prejudice and discrimination. ‘When children spend their time in settings which promote diversity, equality of opportunity and inclusion they are able to make progress in all areas of development’ .
Research the laws relating to Anti discrimination which apply to your