Poverty, Absolute Poverty And Relative Poverty Essay
Poverty is present in every country in the world. However, in some countries a large percentage of the population is living in absolute poverty especially in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Poverty leads to:
• According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty.
• Hunger is the number one cause of death in the world, killing more than HIV/AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined.
• Preventable diseases like pneumonia take the lives of 2 million children a year who are too poor to afford proper treatment.
Lack of access to basic amenities
• 805 million people worldwide do not have enough food to eat.
• More than 750 million people lack adequate access to clean drinking water.
• 1/4 of all humans live without electricity, approximately 1.6 billion people.
Poor Healthcare, Sanitation and Malnutrition