Plastic Bottles Research Paper

Good Essays
Plastic Bottles Are Just Big Trouble “50 billion plastic bottles are used each year in America, that’s enough to wrap around the world 190 times,” (Leithman). Even though plastic bottles are popular now, when they were first created in 1947, they were very expensive and not many people bought them. However, in 1960, high-density polyethylene was made and introduced to the public. As the demand for plastic bottles escalated, consumers produced more plastic bottles for cheap, while selling the products at a low price as well. Plastic bottles are still around today, while being both beneficial and harmful. Plastic bottles need to be banned since they cause global warming, the reason for the death of many animals, and the cause of health defects …show more content…
In addition, many plastic bottles are not recycled and are thrown on the ground or put in landfills. A 16 ounce reusable bottle is around 12 dollars (Contigo). Let us take water for example. We are supposed to have 8-10 cups of water a day, which converts to 32 ounces a day. Since one water bottle is around 15 cents, you will have 4, 16 ounce water bottles a day you will spend 60-75 cents a day (Kmart). This converts to 22 to 24 dollars a year just on spending money for water bottles, double of what you would pay for buying a reusable bottle. This 22 to 24 dollars does not even account for the number of soda bottles, juice jugs, and other beverages consumed in a year. Furthermore, most all plastic bottles are not recycled, yet they are thrown away. “According to Brita: Americans throw away 35 billion plastic bottles a year,” (Hasselberger). Since we use 50 billion water bottles a year, that means only that 15 billion plastic bottles are recycled each year (Leithman). That is only 30 percent of all plastic bottles used in a year. The other 70 percent? They are thrown away into landfills or polluted, where they take 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade (Hasselberger). Overall, we can see why plastic bottles are not cheap and

Related Documents

  • Decent Essays

    Bottled Water Vs Tap Water

    • 1008 Words
    • 5 Pages

    Landfills are consumed by two million tons of water bottles alone. (Bottled Water Is Wasteful). PET plastic water bottles are making up about 3.3 percent of landfills. Each individual water bottle then takes approximately one thousand years to decompose, and produce toxic fumes if incinerated. The water bottle industry requires 17 million barrels of crude oil to produce enough bottles to meet the demand of the people in the U.S. (Bottled Water vs).…

    • 1008 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Problem Statement What are the factors that are contributing to the plastic bottle problem? Variables Dependent Variable About 50 million plastic bottles are made in the US each year alone Only about 23 percent of them are recycled So about 38 billion plastic bottles are wasted each year. Independent Variable The US is the largest consumer of plastic bottles in the world Hypothesis Plastic bottles are very harmful to the environment. There is way too many being made and not enough being recycled. Literature…

    • 1476 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    In the United States, 40 percent of all food is uneaten (B). This amounts to about 197.7 billion dollars spent every year on food that is never eaten (B). That is an incredible amount of money that could be used on other things like funding education or researching cures for disease. The majority of food that is wasted is wasted at the consumer level. Consumers are responsible for wasting twenty one percent of all food produced while ten percent of all food produced is wasted by farms and retailers.…

    • 1000 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    However the EPA proclaimed, “the United States have more than 100 million worth of hardware to discard and just 20 percent of it is reused" (What Is E-waste?). The other 80 percent is thrown away and most electronic contain harmful chemicals. When the bulk of electronic toxic chemicals add up in piles of waste, the threat to the environment is very harmful. Melvin Needhidasan, a researcher…

    • 1608 Words
    • 7 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Goodbye Plastic Water Bottles In the United States, Americans use 50 billion plastic bottles a year. To put that in perspective, Americans consume about 1500 plastic water bottles per second. That is way too much to be using just to use something to drink out of. The United States has some of the safest drinking water in the world, so why do we need to have bottled water that claims to be “purified” or from some springs? The answer is we don’t.…

    • 1749 Words
    • 7 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Due to consumers nonsensically spending money on something they could get for free at home, “there are 50 billion water bottles consumed every year, about 30 billion of them in the US” (Schriever). To produce these plastic water bottles “we use 17 million barrels of oil each year” (Schriever). This substantial amount of valuable product could alternatively be used to “keep a million cars fueled for a whole year” (Schriever). Additionally, plastic water bottles are made entirely out of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) plastics. PETs are recyclable, but not biodegradable and break into smaller but everlasting fragments over time.…

    • 1215 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Worldwide, people continue to inhale 5.7 trillion cigarettes annually or 15.6 billion daily – a figure that does not even count duty-free or black-markets or local-made cigarettes or cigarette-like products. The World Health Organization (WHO), after first comprehensive analysis of tobacco use and control efforts in 179 countries, notes that tobacco kills more people a year than tuberculosis, AIDS and malaria combined. Nearly 80% of the world's one billion current smokers live in low- income and middle-income countries. Unless governments of those countries do more to slow the epidemic, the annual death toll could rise to more than eight million by 2030 and could kill one billion by the end of the century…

    • 957 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Some people lose about four billion dollars a year because of odometer fraud, with an average rollback of 15,000 miles. There are more pre-owned Silverado pickup trucks for sale than any other car, about 120,000 throughout the United States. The state having more used vehicles would be Texas; Houston by itself has more than 32,000. Chevrolet is the most available in used cars with about 450,000; Ford has 425,000, and about 280,000 Toyotas. Believe it or not but the color silver is the most purchased car of used cars.…

    • 1858 Words
    • 8 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Plastic Water Bottle Essay

    • 1569 Words
    • 7 Pages

    Joe O'Neill Powell ENS 112 Individual Project 5 December 2017 Project: Cutting Back on Plastic Water Bottles Introduction According to the CRI (Container Recycling Institute), each day in the U.S. more than 60 million water bottles are thrown away, about 22 billion per year. The ultimate problem is the misuse of the water bottles after they are consumed. About 80% of plastics end up in landfills or incinerators, and as seen many are littered and end up on the streets or in public parks. Another main issue is the cost of water bottles, not necessarily the cost to produce them, but the cost to purchase them, and why they don't benefit society. Over the past couple of years, sales from noncarbonated bottled water have exceeded $10 billion.…

    • 1569 Words
    • 7 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Which leaves us at destroying the environment by this steady production of mass bottled water, even though clean water could be provided to everyone on earth for an outlay of 1.7 billion dollars a year beyond current spending on water projects, according to the International Water Management Institution. According to best-selling author, Norm Schriever, there are 50 billion water bottles consumed every year, about 30 billion of them in the US, which means America consumes 60 percent of the world’s water bottles, even though were 4.5 percent of the world’s population. Not to mention to manufacture these water bottles it takes three times the volume of water to produce one bottle of water than it does to fill it. 17 million barrels of oil are used each year to manufacture these water bottles. This is…

    • 636 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Decent Essays