Plastic And Its Effects On Our Lives Essay

1215 Words Dec 14th, 2015 5 Pages
Plastic is a convenient, strong and universally important product utilized throughout the world. However, despite plastic’s convenience and prevalence, which consumers appreciate, it is a devastating reality that the convenience of use of plastic in so many household goods comes at a very high price for our earth and the beings that live on it. With increasing amounts of plastic polluting the oceans and dangerous chemicals being emitted from plastic products, plastic is a hazard to many animals, humans and the environment.
Plastic is a useful product that may be virtually impossible to eliminate completely from our daily lives. The harmful effects are being handled with insufficient action and attention. As expert Jill Thompson, Citizens for Change coordinator with the BC Chapter of the Sierra Club of Canada reports, “We aren’t yet doing enough when it comes to plastic recycling” (Kinnon). Currently, “The world uses more than 100 million tons of plastic annually but recycles less than 5 percent of it” (Kiener). The remaining 95% of plastic has the unwanted potential to end up on shorelines and in our oceans leading to the distress and harm to many animals. Many people litter their plastic waste mindlessly on the streets neglecting to acknowledge the future harm it could cause; “a lot of it [plastic waste] starts out as litter on land. Then wind and rain sweep it into the ocean” (Smith). Regrettably, the “plastic litter clogs sewer systems causing deadly floods, chokes…

Related Documents