Overview Of Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA)

Improved Essays
Spinal Muscular Atrophy, or SMA, was discovered in the 80’s by two doctors. Early in the 1980’s Doctors Werdnig and Hoffman talked of a disorder of progressive muscular weakness starting in babies, leading to early death. The disease was characterized as a loss of anterior horn cell. The lower motor neuron degeneration has been confirmed to be caused by a loss of anterior horn cells in the cranial nerve nuclei and spinal cord.
The entire body is affected from Spinal Muscular Atrophy. SMA affects the control of muscle movement. Spinal Muscular Atrophy robs people of their ability to walk, eat, swallow, breathe, and in some cases the ability to sit or speak. In a familiar case a boy was robbed not only of his ability to walk, eat, and breathe,
…show more content…
SMA is transmitted through genes, most carriers do not know they carry the mutated gene. SMA is caused by the survival motor neuron gene 1 (SMN1). Both parents would have to have at least 1 copy of the mutated gene for their child to be born with SMA. Carriers typically do not show and signs or symptoms. 1 in every 50 Americans are genetic carriers. If both parents are carriers of the SMA gene mutation, there is a 25% chance with each pregnancy that the child will be affected. There 's a 50% chance of having a child who would be a SMA gene carrier and a 25% chance of having a child who would neither have SMA or be an SMA gene carrier.
Spinal Muscular Atrophy does not discriminate. SMA can affect anyone! Any gender or ethnic group, no matter what stage of life they may be in.
Testing to look for SMA includes a physical exam, genetic testing, or blood testing to look for an enzyme, known as Creatine Kinase, that leaks from deteriorating muscles. Some doctors do biopsies to look for this disease and may even do a test to measure Nerve Conduction Velocity. A blood test can normally identify types one, two, and
…show more content…
Feeding tubes are needed with type 2 SMA patients. In most cases of this type the legs seem to become weak before the arms. Many professionals have noticed that children with SMA tend to be unusually intelligent. SMA at this stage of life tends to cause bad cases of scoliosis because the spinal support muscles never become strong. Like all forms of SMA the muscles needed to breathe become very weak.
Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy, affects children 18 months and older. This type of SMA starts when the child takes at least 5 independent steps. In some cases the ability to walk with this type is completely taken away, while in other cases patients may still be able to walk until they are in their 30’s. Adaptive equipment is highly recommended for this type, power wheelchairs and tools for computer usage are the most popular.
Type 4 SMA affects an older crowd, type 4 affects adults age 40 and over. Type 4 is less common than any of the other types. Type 4 symptoms included, twitching and muscle weakness. This form is also known as Adult Onset Spinal Muscular Atrophy,and is considered a rare disorder. Symptoms of this type not only include twitching and weakness it also includes, wasting away of muscles typically only the muscles close to the centre of the body, like the upper arms and legs. Also muscle aches and joint overuse symptoms are very well known with this

Related Documents

  • Great Essays

    Females are very rarely affected by DMD, and will not have the dramatic signs like the males do. Although if they are carriers of the mutated chromosome, they possibly will experience small symptoms of weakness in their muscles. However there were cases reported where a female’s second chromosome is damaged, in that case they develop DMD just as a male would. An estimate of 29% males between the age of 5-9 are forced into a wheelchair from Duchenne muscular dystrophy. 82% of 10-14 years old and more than 90% of males between the age of 15-24 need to use a wheelchair.…

    • 1194 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Great Essays
  • Improved Essays

    Duchene Muscular Dystrophy

    • 1020 Words
    • 5 Pages

    Males inherit one copy of X chromosome from their mother and one copy of Y chromosome from their father while females get one copy of X chromosome from each of their parents. Therefore the probability of manifesting the disease differs between the two sexes. More specifically, each son born to a female with the DMD mutation on one of her two X chromosomes has a 50 percent chance of inheriting the defective gene and having the disease. In contrast, each daughter of a carrier female has 50 percent chance of inheriting the DMD mutation and being a carrier. Carriers usually do not have any disease symptoms because they have a second X chromosome to produce enough dystrophin protein but there is a risk of passing the mutation to their children.…

    • 1020 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Great Essays

    1 in 3500 boys are born with DMD however very rarely affects girls with a 1 in 50million chance. It is caused by a small mutation in the DMD gene and it is inherited by families in an X-linked recessive fashion. Those who suffer from DMD generally lose muscle function which often occurs in weakness and mostly develops…

    • 1061 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Great Essays
  • Superior Essays

    Rigidity or a resistance to movement affect most people with Parkinson’s disease, causes muscles to be tensed and contracted so that more individual feels stiff. The disease is also characterized by bradykinesia, which is the extreme slowness in movement. Simple tasks such as opening a door or reaching for a glass of milk can take several minutes. A person has difficulty performing routine work such as dressing, eating and walking. Another symptom of Parkinson’s disease is hypokinesia, a condition in which the range of motion is reduced (Human Biology).…

    • 906 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Superior Essays
  • Superior Essays

    Pros And Cons Of Adoption

    • 1056 Words
    • 5 Pages

    Another problem is the fact that many people foster children or teenagers only for the money. They have no intention of actually helping or providing a healthy home for them. To counter this argument roughly 130,000 kids are adopted annually in America. Since 2000 there has been a 6% increased rate until 2008. According to the Dave Thomas Foundation, “Nearly 40 percent of American adults, or 81.5 million people, have considered adopting a child.” That is almost half of the American adult population or 81.5 million families willing to adopt.…

    • 1056 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Superior Essays
  • Improved Essays

    This is known as heart failure and is a very rare complication of Paget's disease. Symptoms of heart failure include breathlessness, extreme tiredness and weakness and…

    • 607 Words
    • 3 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Great Essays

    Turner Syndrome Essay

    • 1470 Words
    • 6 Pages
    • 10 Works Cited

    However, many times these symptoms are overlooked even though the syndrome is fairly easy to detect and the symptoms are quite obvious. Turner Syndrome can cause quite a few medical complications such as infertility, two components instead of three in the aortic valve, short stature, cardio-vascular diseases, lack of visual spatial skills, short attention spans, memory loss, Type II Diabetes, hyperthyroidism, learning disabilities, and a higher chance of developing Celiac disease because of a more toxic reaction to gluten. Many affected by Turner Syndrome are uneducated and unaware of their symptoms, so many have low self esteem, depression, and psychological issues (Turner Syndrome Society,…

    • 1470 Words
    • 6 Pages
    • 10 Works Cited
    Great Essays
  • Superior Essays

    Hemoglobin Research Paper

    • 1396 Words
    • 6 Pages

    The gene can be inherited from any parent with a heterozygous genotype. Any person who has heterozygous genotype is a carrier of sickle cell anemia, a condition normally referred to as sickle cell trait. Individuals with sickle cell trait do not suffer from sickle cell anemia. Any two parents with heterozygous genotype has a 25 per cent chance of producing a child with sickle cell anemia. This will only occur if the child has inherited a mutated gene from both parents.…

    • 1396 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Superior Essays
  • Improved Essays

    Stiffness in the neck is another frequent symptom which can often anticipate ossification in the area. Most children born with Stone Man Syndrome cannot crawl because they have large posterior elements and the facet joints in the cervical spine have not formed properly or have fused, restricting movement (www.ifopa.org). Patients also develop fibrous nodules over the upper body which form after minor bodily traumas such as falls or viral illnesses. Whilst some of them regress, usually, these nodules are replaced by mature bone…

    • 975 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Improved Essays
  • Improved Essays

    Muscular Dystrophy Essay

    • 1251 Words
    • 5 Pages

    Occurring mostly in males, Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy is an X-linked disorder that includes progressive muscle weakening caused by an insufficient gene for the production of a protein in the muscles called dystrophin. (Lucas-Heron, 1995) It affects about one in 3600-6000 live male births, making it the most common form of muscular dystrophy. Symptoms are most often noticeable by the time patients reach the age of three to five. The affected males will lose their ability to walk by eight to twelve years of age, making them wheelchair dependent. This disorder affects muscle tissues, leading to problems with organs.…

    • 1251 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Improved Essays