Nursing Management Essay example
1. Relate leadership and other motivational theories to behaviors that serve as important functions of professional nursing.
a. Leadership theories
i. Trait theories:
2. Innate leadership skills: being born with a certain set of physical and emotional characteristics for inspiring others to reach a common goal
ii. Style theories:
4. How leaders behave in certain environments and situations.
a. Democratic: you care about what others think
b. Lasae faire: no structure; people can do what they want
c. Authoritarian: you are in charge …show more content…
2. Examine complexity theory principles in assisting nurses in leading change and solving problems.
c. Complexity theory
ix. Complexity science promotes the idea that the world is full of systems that interact and adapt through relationships.
x. Nurses must be flexible and dynamic to be in tune with the ever-changing systems of people, health care, public policy, and human relationships.
18. According to complexity theory, networks evolve around areas of common interest and are able to respond to problems in creative and novel ways.
19. The principle “Think systematically,” you cannot ignore objective data or non-measurable data, as both inform decisions.
d. Complexity Theory Principles
xii. Shared decision making without regard to hierarchy.
20. Everyone has a voice
21. Example: working together as a unit to help with infection control. Good ideas can come from anywhere
xiii. Every voice counts
xiv. Every encounter between and among patients may add to effective decision-making.
22. Shared governance is often used as a motivating factor. It is decision making in which staff at any level is engaged in shaping policy and practices that impact patient care.
3. Differentiate between the…