Merits and Demerits of Dictatorship Essay
1. Loss of Freedom of choice - Citizens no longer have the choice to choose who governs them. They cannot vote in elections as it is all decided for them.
2. The Government will have absolute power. The government may not think in the best interests of the people. They may be more interested in building large lavish palaces for themselves than feeding their people.
3. The people may be oppressed by the regime as the government would be intent on keeping their power away from the citizens.
1. Stability of government - the government will stay the same. In times of political warfare and inner party turmoil and war this may become a relief to finally have a stable government,
2. The dictator may be a …show more content…
When a country faces any kind of emergency situation such as a war or a health epidemic, a dictatorship government can prove to be the most efficient one. The reason being that all the decisions are taken by one person, so there is no ambiguity with regards to the plan of action as well as individual responsibilities that are fixed to cope with the emergency situation. So, one of the main advantages of dictatorship over democracy is that it is better equipped to face emergencies.
Lesser Crime Rate
Most of the dictatorship governments are police states. So, in a way there is low crime rate under such regimes. Another reason for a better law and order situation in these states is that various laws are passed immediately, without any discussion or waiting for the public opinion on them. This leads to better control over crimes too.
"Things Happen" Quickly
In a dictatorship form of government, all things, whether related to governance or businesses or anything else, happen much quicker than in other types of government. The reason for this is the same i.e. decision making lies with a single person.
These are some of the advantages of dictatorship. Although, for these advantages to translate into real life, a dictator needs to be self less, benevolent, well experienced and intelligent. As a dictator has unlimited power, if he does not possess these qualities, the disadvantages of dictatorship, such as oppression of