Low Income Inequality In America

1020 Words 5 Pages
As society progresses in time, there seems to be less opportunity for the poor and more for the affluent. There is a huge gap of income, there seems to be no room for those on the bottom to move up. However, there seems to be a relationship between opportunity and income inequality for that the higher someone excels so does the equality of income. There have been signs of the rich only being able to prosper while hourly wage is decreasing. Big Bucks such as Wal-Mart have been prosecuted giving their workers low income and fewer promotion possibilities. Big companies such as this one will do anything in their power to make more money… even if that means to take away hours and not pay for overtime. However, there are some that would say we should …show more content…
The distribution of wealth in America has been uneven since 1970. While the unemployment rate has decreased in the U.S, the gap between rich and poor in this country has dramatically increased. As stated in Income Inequality “The share of total income going to the top 1 percent of earners, which stood at 8.9 percent in 1976, rose to 23.5 percent by 2007, but during the same period, the average inflation-adjusted hourly wage declined by more than 7 percent” (Frank 581). There seems to be a rise in earnings in the top 1 percent of the country which doesn't seem to be far to the rest 99 percent. Since when are the rich only aloud to prosper while the rest of us drown in debt and misery? There is an understanding when society says that those who prosper have earned it and should be able to do so because of the free society we live in. However, The poor in our society are not benefiting from the increased wealth in the country. The income gap between low-income families and high-income families is widened. “The rich have been spending more simply because they have so much extra money…These cascades have made it substantially more expensive for middle-class families to achieve basic financial goals” (Frank 582). Inequality in the distribution of desirables exists as device for ensuring that the most qualified people fill the most important positions. Certain jobs are more important than others are, and those jobs require special skill and talent. The cycle of unequal opportunity is intensifying, and the United States beneficiaries often slander those who are the most systematically undervalued, underpaid, underrated, as an undeserving, underclass lacking the proper work ethic. 
 Wal-mart. Save Money. Live Better. Always Low Prices. Undervalue Our Workers… But We Still Care For The Poor. The higher paid workers are paid around 16 thousand a year

Related Documents