Lemon Sauce Essay
Does More Sugar Make Lemon Sauce Runny?
Project Design Plan
Cornstarch is a common thickening agent in cooking. Plant starch is made of a mixture of amylose and amylopectin. When heated in a water-based solution, the starch molecules can unwind and then form new hydrogen bonds with other starch molecules, making a network of long molecular filaments that can hold water molecules in a gel (Holmes, 2012). The Argo Cornstarch website warns that too much sugar can interfere with thickening (Argo, 2012).
There are many different ways to thicken liquids and thickening liquids has many applications. Many experiments have been done to test different thickening methods.
GVSoapCo tested …show more content…
Lemon sauce will be made six different times as follows:
1. Sugar is mixed with cornstarch thoroughly in the sauce pan to make a homogenous mixture
a. First time, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and ½ cup sugar
b. Second time 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and ¼ cup sugar
c. Third time 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 1 cup sugar
d. Fourth time, 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and ½ cup sugar
e. Fifth time 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and ¼ cup sugar
f. Sixth time 2 Tablespoons cornstarch and 1 cup sugar
2. 3/4ths cup water is stirred into the sugar/starch mixture, a little at a time, to make a homogenous mixture
3. Heat is applied to the mixture (stove set at 4) stirring constantly.
4. When the mixture begins to boil, as noted by large bubbles rising to the top, the kitchen timer is started.
5. At 1 minute after boiling begins, the stove is turned off. 2 Tablespoons butter is added and the mixture stirred for 2 minutes.
6. 1/4th cup lemon juice is added and the mixture is stirred for 1 minute.
7. The mixture is transferred to a glass bowl.
8. All cooking materials are thoroughly washed and then rinsed in warm water, then in cold tap water to assure a consistent temperature for each repetition.
9. The sauces are allowed to set at room temperature, stirring occasionally until all three are the same temperature as measured by with the kitchen