Lab 5 Essay
Student Exploration: Rabbit Population by Season
Vocabulary: carrying capacity, density-dependent limiting factor, density-independent limiting factor, limiting factor, population, population density
Prior Knowledge Questions (Do these BEFORE using the Gizmo.)
1. Suppose you had a pet rabbit. What would the rabbit need to stay alive and healthy? Pet rabbits need food, fresh water, a clean living space, and shelter from the elements in order to stay alive and healthy.
2. A female rabbit can give birth to over 40 baby rabbits a year. Suppose all of her offspring survived and reproduced, all of their offspring survived and reproduced, and so on. If that happened, in only eight …show more content…
3. Predict: How do you think a period of harsh winters will affect the rabbit population?
The harsh weather will kill the rabbit population.
4. Investigate: Click Reset. Select Harsh winter from the CONDITIONS listed on the SIMULATION pane. Click Play, and observe the how the population changes over five years. Paste a snapshot of the graph in your document. Label the graph “Harsh Winter.”
A. How does the Harsh Winter graph differ from the Normal Weather graph? The carrying capacity is lower and there is a greater population decrease during the winter.
B. What do you think most likely caused the differences seen in the two graphs?
The harsh winter weather is difficult to survive, so more members of the population die during the winter.
5. Predict: Rabbits reproduce in the spring. How do you think a period of cold springs will affect the rabbit population? The rabbits will not be able to reproduce.
(Activity C continued on next page)
Activity C (continued from previous page)
6. Investigate: Deselect Harsh winter. Select Cold spring. Click Play, and observe the how the population changes over a period of five years. Paste a snapshot of the graph in your document and label the graph “Cold Spring.”