Jock Itch Research Paper
What is Jock Itch?
Jock itch is caused by the overgrowth of the tinea cruris fungus in a man's groin area. As with most fungi, tinea cruris is a big fan of moist, warm environments. That's why it commonly occurs in the groin folds of active, sweaty men. The rash may spread out from the groin folds to a man's thighs, scrotum, penis and buttocks.
A jock itch rash is comprised of small red bumps, and the rash generally has sharply-defined edges. The bumps may be scaly, and sometimes they leak fluid. One of the most …show more content…
The best treatment, of course, is prevention. The following steps will help men avoid the plague of jock itch:
* Keep it dry. The groin region should be dried thoroughly after bathing. Active men, or those who are simply prone to sweating a lot, can use powder on the area to prevent excess moisture.
* Choose light, loose clothing. Tight undergarments and thick pants increase the likelihood of excessive moisture getting trapped in the groin folds. Go for looser clothing and light, well-ventilated materials such as cotton for undergarments.
* Keep clothing clean. A fresh pair of underwear every day is a must, and workout clothing should be washed before worn again.
* Manage athlete's foot. The same fungus that causes jock itch is responsible for athlete's foot; if a man has the latter, he's more likely to end up with the former.
* Don't use other dudes' stuff. Whether it's a razor, towel, protective gear or clothing item, a man should stick with his own. This will prevent him from catching the fungus from other