Intelligence: Nature And Nurture Questions
5. Looking for converging lines of evidence is similar to which of the six flags of critical thinking?
6. What are some definitions of intelligence? What does it mean to say that “intelligence” is a theoretical construct? What are things that correlate with intelligence?
Intelligence: Refers to the ability to understand and use complex ideas, adapt effectively to the environment, learn from experience and engage in abstract reasoning
7. One argument about intelligence is whether it is one thing or multifaceted. What is the evidence that intelligence is one thing? What is “g”? What is Gardner’s theory, and what are the criticisms of it? What are crystallized and fluid intelligence? g (general intelligence): Hypothetical factor that accounts for overall differences in intellect among people
Gardner’s theory: Individuals vary in the types of intelligence at which they excel
Crystallized Intelligence: Accumulated knowledge of the world acquired over …show more content…
Who is Abraham Maslow and what is his theory of self-actualization? What are the characteristics of self-actualized people? What are peak experiences?
Maslow: Hierarchy of needs, focused on the self-actualized—those who are creative, spontaneous and accepting of themselves and others. Self-confident but not self-centered, focused on real-world and intellectual problems
Peak Experiences: Transcendent moment of intense excitement and tranquility marked by a profound sense of connection to the world
15. What are the basic assumptions of evolutionary psychology?
16. What is natural selection? Selective breeding?
Natural Selection: Genes that improve survival and reproductive success get passed on in larger numbers to the next generation Evolution has “designed” the body and the brain to maximize the number genes left in future generations
17. What are some things that the human brain is specialized to do?
Learn language, fear snakes, spiders and heights, Detect healthy/unhealthy others, Identify “cheaters” in groups
18. What is the evidence for sexual selection? What is sexual dimorphism and when is it found? What is Parental Investment