Instructional Guide Chapter 8 Essay
• Be able to explain the different levels of regional economic integration.
• Understand the economic and political arguments for regional economic integration.
• Understand the economic and political arguments against regional economic integration.
• Be familiar with the history, current scope, and future prospects of the world’s most important regional economic agreements.
• Understand the implications for business that are inherent in regional economic integrations agreements.
This chapter discusses regional economic integration, agreements among countries within a geographic region to achieve economic gains from the free …show more content…
The Establishment of the Euro Enlargement of the European Union
Management Focus: The European Commission and Media Industry Mergers Country Focus: Creating a Single European Market in Financial Services
Regional Economic Integration of the Americas The North American Free Trade Agreement The Andean Community MERCOSUR Central American Common Market, CAFTA and CARICOM Free Trade Area of the Americas
Regional Economic Integration Elsewhere Association of Southeast Asian Nations Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Regional Trade Blocks in Africa
Implications for Managers Opportunities Threats Chapter Summary
Closing Case: NAFTA and the U.S. Textile Industry
CLASSROOM DISCUSSION POINT
Choose either the European Union or the North American Free Trade Area, and then ask students to think about what economic integration means for companies inside the bloc.
Then, ask students to consider economic integration from the perspective of a firm outside the bloc.
Next, ask students to consider economic integration from the perspective of a consumer.
Try to organize student responses in a positive/negative chart on the board,