Importance Of Domain And Curricular Structure: Main Idea
Goal/Concepts to be explored:
• I want the students to understand that the main idea of a text is the most important point the author is making about the topic.
• I want the students to be able to identify the main idea and supporting details in a passage.
• Standard 6: Summarize key details and ideas to support analysis of central ideas.
6.1 Summarize multi-paragraph texts using key details to support the central idea.
Content/Rationale: (Reasons for teaching and connections to theory – this section should directly support the stated objectives/standards)
• I chose this lesson because these students have been working on asking and answering questions to determine meaning …show more content…
(example below) Below the image will be the paragraph from the song that we just listened to. o “We went on a trip to London. We took a tour of Buckingham Palace. We Walked through Trafalgar Square. I’d love to go back to London.”
• With the class as a whole we will read through the passage again and discuss what the three supporting details are from the passage that supports the main idea.
• “Now we are going to do an activity at our tables. Here I have a bag and it is called my main idea bag. I am going to pull one item from the bag at a time. (pull item from bag) Show it to the class and discuss what it is. I will repeat this for all of the items in the bag. We will then work together to fill out the worksheet below. • Once the students understand the activity I will distribute a main idea bag to each table.
• “Let each person at the table have a turn to hold the item that you pull out of the bag. Then discuss it as a group. Do this for each item and then fill out the worksheet.
• While the students are completing the activity I will be walking around to each table observing what they are