Iliad - Self image Essay
1. Complete one take home essay.
Provide textual evidence, specific lines and incidents from The Iliad that proves your thesis. You may also draw from The Odyssey.
Use in text parenthetical documentation according to MLA standards.
The style guide that many colleges use is DianaHacker.com. We will use this style guide for both MLA format and grammar and mechanics. If you have any questions about MLA format, refer to DianaHacker.com.
This paper needs to read as an in class write that has been taken home, revised once and computer generated: double spaced, 12 point, three pages minimum, four pages maximum. ( see page three of this document, AP Literature and Composition Draft Requirements)
Choose ONE of …show more content…
10. Prophecy, Oracles and Dreams: Discuss the use and function of prophecy, omen dreams and oracles in The Iliad.
11. Homer’s portrayal of Human Nature: Discuss Homer’s greatness as a portrayer of human personality. Consider heroic epitaphs and actions.
12. Does Homer’s epic idealize human suffering to give it meaning? Do we see this in all literature of epic proportions? Give examples and discuss.
13. Homer’s Literary Style: Discuss the characteristics of Homer’s literary style and give examples.
14. Similes of Homer: The similes of Homer have been called Homer’s “Gift to Poetry.” Discuss the functions of them and their uniqueness.
15. Hubris: Discuss the concept of Hubris in The Iliad and show how it applies in several situations.
16. Compare/Contrast: compare and contrast the personalities and behavior of Agamemnon and Achilles and arrive at a conclusion.
17. Similar to the above question, compare and contrast Achilles and Hector. They are presented as binary opposites in several ways: note several of these contrasts, and how they underscore Hectors place in his community and Achilles’ essential isolation.
18. Compare and contrast Odysseus in the Iliad to the Odysseus we see in the Odyssey. What are the differences in his personality and behavior? Does the tension between these differences convey