How Did Prejudice And Prejudice Affect The Development Of Sociology Essay
How did prejudice and discrimination affect the development of sociology in America in the late
19th and early 20th centuries?
Required Discussion Elements Point Value
Thoroughly responded to each topic/question in initial post 25
Proper citation of the material. 5
Respond to 2 classmates. (10 points each) 20
No spelling or grammar errors. 5
Total possible points 50
• Gender – women did not have a right to vote and they were not treated as equal in terms of education and other benefits that men were. In August 26, 1920, the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote, becomes part of the US Constitution.”
• Racial Prejudice – there was a racial division where blacks and other races were deemed …show more content…
• Immigrant - Irish, Germans and other immigrates were treated poorly by established communities in America.
• Skill Prejudice – In 1884 German immigrant community was often persecuted for their religious beliefs and craftsmanship.
• City and rural division. Between 1880 and 1900 America had an industrial growth which gave a rise in the city growth and a lot of people from the rural areas migrated to the cities. Difference in beliefs and way of life gave rise to the multiethnic and multicultural foundation that we have today.
A lot transpired through the late 19th and early 20th century in America. Below is a list of activity in these timelines.
“Timeline, 1880-1920 1880 – 1889
• January 27, 1880 Thomas Edison receives a patent for his incandescent light bulb
• March 10, 1880 the Salvation Army arrives in the US from England
• March 31, 1880 Wabash, Illinois becomes the first town completely illuminated by electricity
• June 18, 1880, John Sutter discovers gold in California
• October 21, 1881, The Gunfight at the OK Corral occurs; three are killed
• May 17, 1884, The Alaska Territory is organized.
• May 24, 1883, The Brooklyn Bridge …show more content…
• April 30, 1894, Coxey’s Army (a group of 300 unemployed workers led by Jacob Coxey) enter Washington to protest worsening economic conditions.
• January 4, 1896, Utah enters the US as the 45th state.
• April 20, 1898, The United States declares war on Spain.
• July 7, 1898, The United States annexes Hawaii• August 12, 1898, The United States and Spain sign an armistice, ending the Spanish-American War. The Treaty of Paris, signed in December, officially ends the war.
• February 6, 1899, The United States annexes Guam, the Philippines, and Puerto Rico. 1900 – 1909
• February 22, 1900, The Hawaii Territory is organized.
• November 1900 The International Ladies’ Garment Workers Union is founded in New York City.
• January 10, 1901, Texas has its first significant oil strike.
• December 17, 1903, The Wright Brothers make the first successful flight of a heavier-than-air, mechanically propelled aircraft in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.
• April 18 – 19, 1906 The San Francisco earthquake and fire caused $350 million worth of damages to the city.
• January 16, 1907, Oklahoma becomes the 46th state admitted to the