Essay about Homeschooling Persuasive Speech
NAME: David Breaker
SPEECH #: 4 SPEECH TITLE: Homeschooling
“Disadvantages of Homeschooling”. Homeschool Companion. July 20 2014.
Merry, Micheal S., and Sjored Karsten. "Restricted Liberty, Parental Choice And Homeschooling." Journal Of Philosophy Of Education 44.4 (2010): 497-514.
Sorey, Kellie, and Molly H. Duggan. "Homeschoolers Entering Community Colleges: Perceptions Of Admission Officers." Journal Of College Admission 200 (2008): 22-28.
Home Schooling Quotes. (20 Feb 2015). Retrieved from http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/home_schooling.html
ORGANIZATIONAL PATTERN: Chronological
A. Attention Getting Device …show more content…
1. In homeschooling, there is no group work.
2. In college, as well as most workplaces, it is important to be able to work in a team.
3. Public schooling allows the student to work in teams and build the skills to understand group dynamics. The skills will be valuable in college and the workplace.
1. In addition, most homeschooling students have a hard time building proper friendships and may feel like it comes easier for others..
2. In public schools, students are given plenty of opportunities to build friendships and allow the student to better their social abilities
TRANSITION: The social aspect of homeschooling may be one problem, but the lack of supervision can also be concerning along with inadequacies of the parent’s ability to teach.
II. Lack of Supervision
1. Many students find it hard to concentrate without having someone always around to force them to do their schoolwork.
2. Many parents are not hard enough on their children during the school hours and are occupied with being a parent rather than a teacher.
3. Public schools have teachers that are always on watch and discipline if the schoolwork is not finished on time.
B. Parent’s Dedication
1. Homeschooling may be appropriate and a successful way to school a child but the demands that entails teaching requires a lot of dedication.
2. Teaching a student is like a full time job, there are lessons that have to be