Health Care in Germany Essay

1887 Words Feb 4th, 2015 8 Pages
Healthcare in Germany
By
Nabil Fakhoury

Florida Atlantic University
Into to Healthcare Systems (HSA 6103)
Dr. Shehadeh
Fall 2014

Table of contents

Abstract2
Introduction2
Access and Coverage2
Expenditures and Finance3
Advantages4
Drawbacks5
Hospitals and physicians6
Conclusion7

Introduction
The German healthcare system can be traced back to the 1883, when Prince Otto Von Bismark passed a health insurance bill into a law. The German healthcare model is still known as the “Bismark Model” today (Khazan, 2014). There are many differences between the healthcare systems in the United States and in Germany. The German healthcare system does have some drawbacks; however, its many advantages rank it as one of top countries
…show more content…
The Public Statutory Health Insurance Scheme covers those who earn less than 49,500 euros per year; those who earn more than that have the option to buy into a private health insurance plan, but can no longer return to the SHI plan (Green & Irving, 2001). Citizens with either Statutory Health Insurance or private health insurance have access to the same providers (Riesberg & Worz, 2008). The Statutory Health Insurance covers approximately 95% of the 82.5 million German citizens; the remaining 5% are covered by private health insurance (Riesberg & Worz, 2008). About 5% of all government insurance recipients have supplementary private insurance to cover the 50-20% difference in costs not covered by SHI (Riesberg & Worz, 2008). The 2007 reform was introduced to eliminate the number of uninsured, which account to 0.2% of the total population (Riesberg & Worz, 2008). Germans are facing similar problems as Americans who receive Medicaid do when it comes to accessing healthcare. Germans with Statutory Insurance coverage are reporting longer wait times than those with private insurance (Gopffarth, 2012).
Statutory Health Insurance covers a broad range of services that have been approved by the Federal Joint Committee. SHI covers preventative services including pregnancy, early detection of cancer and major illnesses, hospital inpatient and outpatient care, physician services, rehabilitation, mental healthcare, dental care, prescription drugs and nursing

Related Documents