Essay about Hawaii: The Paradise Island
Specific Purpose: To inform my audience about the physical geography, history and culture of Hawaii.
Central Idea: We will see that Hawaii is a special place, by looking at its physical geography, history, and culture.
I. What comes to mind when you think of palm trees, beautiful beaches, luaus and hula dances?
B. The "Aloha" state.
II. Do you know what aloha means?
A. Aloha is the Hawaiian word meaning love.
B. It is also used to say hello or goodbye to visitors.
III. During my visit to Hawaii, I was able to learn a great deal about its geography, history and culture.
IV. Today I will like to share with you some of the geographical, historical and cultural values …show more content…
1. They were short.
2. About 800 years later, another group of Polynesians from Tahiti also came to reside in Hawaii.
3. They were tall.
B. Honolulu has the only royal palaces in the United States.
1. King Kalakaua built the Iolani Palace
2. Queen Liliuokalani's throne.
3. Queen Emma Summer Palace located outside of Honolulu.
C. According to the 2000 census, 1,211,537 people live in Hawaii.
1. Asians and Pacific Islanders make up 61.9 percent of the population in Hawaii.
2. On the other hand, the remaining 38.1 percent of Hawaii's population is comprised of Native Hawaiians, Caucasians, African-Americans, Native Americans and Hispanics.
D. Hawaii was a U.S. Territory from 1898 through 1959.
1. Pearl Harbor attacked by the Japanese in 1941.
2. Became the 50th state on August 12, 1959.
3. USS Arizona Memorial is a floating memorial above the remains of the U.S. battleship sunk during this raid by Japan.
(Transition: In addition to its geographical and historical diversity, we will go on to discover Hawaii's culture and traditions.)
II. Hawaii's islands are alive with diverse cultures, languages, and lifestyles.
A. There are many cultural traditions celebrated on the Hawaiian islands.
1. Hula dancing
2. Luau- An elaborate Hawaiian feast.
3. Polynesian cultural center traditions of different ethnic groups are displayed and performed.
4. Became a