Global Warming Is The Primary Medium Of Information Essay

817 Words Apr 3rd, 2015 4 Pages
Media outlets are the primary medium of information. They can cover topics that focus on the seriousness of politics to meager details in the entertainment business to challenges in local communities. These stories are important as they serve as the public’s connection to the outside world. Although these subjects can vary in media outlets, there’s one that’s rarely spoken of. The environment. Environmental coverage in media outlets accounts for 1.2 percent in the United States, while the remaining 98.8 percent are crime and entertainment coverage (Environmental Coverage). With the lack of environmental headlines in media outlets, major issues such as global warming are overlooked and sometimes forgotten until mentioned. Global warming is the gradual increase in temperature. This serious issue needs to be dealt with as it leads to detrimental problems affecting not only the planet’s system, but also the people who inhabit the planet. According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, the primary contributor of global warming is human activities through industrial production, which generates greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, ozone, methane, and nitrous oxide. This factor originated in the Industrial Revolution when machinery began to replace manual labor (“The Ecological Impact”). Eventually, the usage of fossil fuels increased, powering locomotives and other machineries (“Why did fossil fuels”). These fossil fuels include coal, natural gas, and petroleum, and have been…

Related Documents