Give Examples of/Describe Current Legislation, Guidelines; Policies and Procedures Within Own Uk Home Nation Affecting the Safeguarding of Children and Young People.
The Children’s Act 1989 came into full force in the latter months of 1991 and introduced several new key principles that included:
• The concept of Parental Responsibility;
• The ability for unmarried parents to share the responsibility of caring for the child by agreement with the other parent (predominantly the father getting agreement from the mother), though joint registration at birth and a court order;
• The local authority to provide support and …show more content…
These three new principles all worked in unison and interlink to support the most important section: Protection. If the new principles were followed and worked then the child in question would be above all protected, the overall outcome of the Act. The Act was set out as a piece of safeguarding legislation for the very definition of safeguarding is: “a measure taken to protect someone or something or to prevent something undesirable”.
In 2004 the Children’s Act was revisited and revised after the Victoria Climbié incident in 2000. The most notable outcome of the 2004 revision was the Government Green Paper and the Every Child Matters policy. This policy sets out five outcomes that ensures every child, no matter their background or circumstances, have the support they need to:
• Be healthy
• Stay safe
• Enjoy and achieve
• Make positive contributions to society
• Achieve economic well-being.
This is another piece of legislation that can be used in relation to the safeguarding of a child