Essay about Genre Films
Read: Chapter 9 – Film Genre's
Assignment One: Quiz (20 points)
This is an untimed, open book test. Test is over the information in Chapter 9. Must be completed by Sunday at Midnight. March 6 at Midnight.
Assignment Two: Film Review
This is your chance to play film critic. Review sites such as Fandango and Rotton Tomatoes to see the structure and style of film reviews. You can review any film we have viewed this quarter or a current Theatrical or DVD Release. Please submit your Film Review in the Drop box entitled Review in the Drop Box area. Due Sunday March 6 at Midnight.
Term Paper: Due Friday March 11th.
Group Projects: Due Finals week.
1. John Ford's The Searchersis a major example of which genre? …show more content…
B) General meanings that are summoned up again and again
C) Characteristic film techniques
D) The interplay of convention and innovation, familiarity and novelty
11. Which of the following is not considered a conventional plot element? A) Investigation in a mystery film
B) A sad ending in a drama
C) Revenge in a Western
D) Song and Dance in a musical
12. A batch of genre films that enjoys intense popularity and influence over a distinct period is what? A) Collective
D) Super genre
13. Although cinema became commercially successful in 1895, when was the first film genre (Western) defined? A) 1896 B) 1899 C) 1903 D) 1908
14. Analyzing genre in terms of providing social commentary is called what? A) Reflectionist viewing
B) Socioeconomic viewing
C) Moralist viewing
D) There is no term for it
15. What was the basic theme for Western films early in the genre? A) The conflict between good and bad
B) The conflict between the lawmakers and the lawbreakers
C) The conflict between civilized order and the lawless frontier
D) The conflict between religion and secularism
16. Which of the following is not a standardized convention of the early western? A)