Fire Safety Prevention Essay
Preventing accidents when there is an open fire
As the old adage goes, “ Fire is a good servant but a bad master.” Although fire has numerous good uses such as aiding us in cooking, keeping warm, roasting food and the list goes on, it can also bring about adverse effects and irreparable damage. This can be prevented if the fire safety precaution is taken and people are educated about the danger lurking around houses furniture(for eg. Electrical appliances) which may potentially spark a fire. A few ways of prevention are listed below.
Never leave the stove and fire unattended
Cooking should never be left unattended as it poses a threat to the cook and anyone in the house. Make sure to stay in the kitchen at all times when …show more content…
Hazardous substances and medication should be kept away from children.
2. Children should be under the supervision of an adult when an open fire is involved.
3. Candles should be placed on a fire-resistant surface out of reach of children.
4. Parents should have strict rules and not allow children to have access to matches or lighters.
5. Smokers are strongly recommended to use child-proof lighters and a deep ashtray to prevent the outbreak of a possible fire.
6. Should there be children, smokers should not have numerous lighters in the house.
7. During winter, children can be protected from a fire hazard by simply putting on night clothes labeled ‘ Low Fire Danger’.
Taking safety precaution with the elderly
As people age, they tend to be less observant, more forgetful and less agile than in their younger days. Older people require more care and special consideration so as to minimize injuries sustained to their fragile bodies. Prevention is always better than cure, be proactive and take further steps to prevent home accidents.
1. Ensure floors are not wet, give floors on-slip surfacing if …show more content…
Do not leave children’s toys on the floor, unnoticeable to the eyes as the elderly might trip over them.
6. In the shower room, it is strongly advisable to install handrails and grab bars and lay out absorptive and non-slip mats.
7. Selection of nightwear also contributes to their safety. During winter, older people should wear clothes which of non-flammable fabrics.
2 Ways of Preventing accidents when…
1. As the golden rule of thumb, boaters should always have their safety vest or life jacket on them at all times. This would ensure their safety during the journey and should any mishap occur, their life jacket would enable them to stay afloat. Coast guards should conduct regular checks to remind boaters to have their life jackets on at all times.
2. Before operating a boat, it is strongly encouraged that boaters take up a boating course to be educated and aware of safety rules on the boat, steps to carry out safe operation and navigation.
1. Allow cold water to run before the hot to reduce chances of scalding. Additionally, make sure to check the water temperature before getting into the bath.
2. Lay out non-slip mats on the floor of the shower room to prevent slipping.
Public transport, cars and