In light of the fore going, the recommendations contained in this report will majorly help the government and local authorities initiate better measures to deal with hurricanes and thus avert huge losses occasioned by them. This will thus help in future hurricane occurrences to avoid huge losses in damages to property and loss of lives. Recommendations reached in this report will be based on best practice in the world and safety measures that may be instituted to avoid previous mistakes. This study is however limited to response measures by the US Federal government to hurricane Katrina. Additionally, the study is limited by limited data/information on responses made to hurricane …show more content…
• Could the impact of the hurricane be mitigated against by taking appropriate measures?
• What can be done to improve the Federal Government’s preparedness and responsiveness to hurricanes?
By answering the above questions, we are able to come up with recommendations on how to better deal with hurricanes.
Recommendations of this report are;
• Create appropriate Regional Structure. In this regard, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) needs to come up with and implement Homeland Security Regions which are adequately staffed with highly trained personnel equipped to manage and coordinate all preparedness activities and any emergency that may require a substantial Federal response.
• Transform the National Guard. The report recommends that the state National Guards to modify their organization and training to include a priority mission to prepare and deploy in support of homeland security missions.
• Strengthen the Public Health Response. The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) should lead a unified and strengthened public health and medical command for Federal disaster