Exorbitant Prices For Prescription Drugs

1135 Words 5 Pages
Are exorbitant prices for prescription drugs a contributing factor to the high mortality and morbidity rates among Americans patients? Sometimes I often wonder if the issue of one’s inability to pay for their needed meds to get well is the result of some patients dying prematurely, more so, than the actual sickness or disease. As a result of these high prices for prescription drugs, some patients are taking risky measures by not taking their medicines as prescribed. According to the Center for Disease and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 10 patients do not follow the prescribed medication regimen by skipping dosages, filling prescription late, using less1 by cutting pills in half, or seeking black-market drugs on the internet that are not approved by …show more content…
I strongly feel that this outrageous cost for meds is hurting the same patients the drugs are intended to help. In addition, cutting corners and not taking your medication as outlined by your healthcare provider is putting yourself at risk for poorer health, hospitalization, cardiovascular issues,1 ischemic strokes, etc.
America has always tussled with the issue of affordable health care for all Americans for over a hundred years now.2 Yet, today, the issue of the high cost for medical and prescription coverage is still an issue. Convinced that American families are being crippled by rising cost for medical care and prescription drugs, President Obama signed into law, a little over 5 years ago, the new Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, which gives every American the right to have health
…show more content…
While it is common knowledge that the high cost for prescription drugs is a major problem for the American patients, both players remain deadlock in defending their reasons for pricing of prescription drugs. Some States are pushing for a Pharmaceutical Transparency Bill3 to get an insight as to how the Big Pharmas set their prices. Meanwhile, Medicare Part D continues to give $250 rebates and then gradually increasing its subsidies to patients within the doughnut hole until 2020, which by then will take care of 75 percent of the prescription drug cost and leaving the patient with 25 percent of the balance; saving the government about $132 billion

Related Documents