Equality and Diversity Unit 1 Assignment Essay
Unit 1: Exploring Equality and Diversity
You should use this file to complete your Assessment.
• The first thing you need to do is save a copy of this document, either onto your computer or a disk
• Then work through your Assessment, remembering to save your work regularly
• When you’ve finished, print out a copy to keep for reference
• Then, go to www.vision2learn.com and send your completed Assessment to your tutor via your My Study area – make sure it is clearly marked with your name, the course title and the Unit and Assessment number.
1. What is meant by diversity?
My understanding of diversity is that that we should acknowledge the differences in …show more content…
5. Describe what it means to respect people’s differences and why it is important to respect differences.
Respecting people’s differences is to be aware of each person’s own diversity and to find a common ground, where each person can tolerate the other person’s uniqueness.
An example of this is that I have a friend who is gay. I am not gay and he accepts that, as I accept that he is. As a person we have the same values and are friends because we both accept that we have different tastes and can therefore continue to be friends peacefully and respectfully.
When this fails, in society, the results are normally catastrophic. Religion and culture are probably the biggest differences, resulting in war and torture. This is a valuable lesson of what happens when we don’t respect each other’s differences, but sadly seems to be lost on those involved.
6. For a person you know, describe the individual factors that make him / her who they are.
|Defining factors |Brief