When somebody hurts you they take power over you, if you don’t forgive them then they keep the power. Forgive them and after you forgive them, forgive yourself. (Perry, 2005)
Learning to let go of a grudge or forgive someone who has wronged you can be one of the most challenging things to do. However, letting go of grudges and granting forgiveness can clear the way for healthier relationships, less stress, improved heart health, and an overall higher level of well-being.
Just about everyone has been hurt by words or actions of others. For example, someone acted against you in a disrespectful manner, your collegue undermined your work or your significant other had an affair. These lesions may leave you with lasting feelings of anguish, distress, and the need to seek revenge. Holding onto these negative feelings and thoughts can be burdensome. You might become depressed or anxious. You might carry your anger and resentment into new relationships. Consequently, hindering yourself from future aspirations. Holding a grudge is only setting yourself up for self-sabotage.
Researches at the college in Holland, Michigan say forgiveness seems to be better for people than holding a grudge, at least in terms of negative effects on the body. In a study of about 70 undergraduates (roughly half …show more content…
In a poll on Debate.org, Is it unhealthy to hold grudges? 56% of people say yes while the other 44% say no. Some respondents feel that holding a grudge is not unhealthy because it can protect you from repeated hurts. Others feel that holding a grudge makes you feel better and that if you can not make them suffer in real life then make them suffer in your own mind. Some feel that serious grudges over serious wrongs can help victims psychologically become strong and recover from abuse and traumatic experiences. Overall, a major issue with people holding