16. By 2050, the expected percentage of the U.S. population that is considered elderly will be less than 20%.
17. Social Security was created in 1965.
18. On average, the elderly are less likely to be poor when compared to the rest of the U.S. population.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Social Security retirement system:
2. is a fully funded pension system.
3. is a tax-financed system that pays benefits from taxes that are invested to return principal and interest to workers when they retire.
4. is a tax-financed retirement system that finances pensions by taxing workers each year and transferring the bulk of revenues obtained directly to retirees.
5. does not use taxes on workers to pay pensions to retirees.
6. The gross replacement rate:
7. measures a worker’s monthly retirement benefit divided by monthly earnings before taxes in the year prior to retirement.
8. measures a worker’s monthly retirement benefit divided by monthly earnings after taxes in the year prior to retirement.
9. is an increasing function of gross monthly earnings prior to retirement.
10. is independent of gross monthly earnings prior to retirement.
11. A worker earns $2,000 per month before taxes. He pays $140 per month payroll tax on those wages. In addition, the income taxes on those wages