Disadvantages Of Using Mammograms To Diagnose Breast Cancer

Good Essays
The number of people affected by breast cancer is rising in the western world. Breast cancer is caused by the unusual growth and division in cells that can destroy normal tissue in the breast. The cancer cells have the potential to spread throughout the body (“Breast Cancer,” 1999, p.518). Breast cancer is found typically in older women or around the time of menopause but it can also be found in men. Breast cancer is defined by the mammory glands and the growth of malignant cells within these glands. (“Breast Cancer,” 2015, para 1-2). This essay will briefly outline the methods of detecting breast cancer, and then discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using mammograms to detect or diagnose breast cancer, and discuss a range of possible …show more content…
Mammograms are used to help detect breast cancer in the early stages to increase survival rates among patients. Eltoukhy (2012, p. 123) says that digital mammography play an effective role in breast cancer survival. As causes of breast cancer are still widely speculated, early detection helps with cancer treatment. Although Depypere (2014, p. 482) states that mammograms are more effective for women over 50. With a study showing that out of 1000 mammograms 3 breast cancers will be detected and only one missed (Depypere, 2014, p. …show more content…
(breast cancer, 2015, para. 3) Inherited mutations can increase a women’s chance of breast cancer. 12% of the public develop breast cancer, a woman who has the inherited gene BRCA1/BRCA2 has a 60% chance of developing the disease. Hilgart (2012, p.15) states that there is a 40%-60% chance of developing breast cancer for women who have inherited the BRCA 1 or 2 mutation in their lifetime. Kay (2013, p. 1) states in younger women having a familiar risk of breast cancer is the leading cause of cases. This is contributed by BRCA being passed through generations. However there are different risk levels such as severity, age and the kind of cancer among

Related Documents

  • Decent Essays

    In the human body, cells have the ability to grow and divide, but when a group of cells malfunction, they can form a malignant tumor. When a malignant tumor develops in the breast, it is classified as breast cancer. Breast Cancer refers to the over cell proliferation (abnormal cell growth) forming in the tissue of a breast and eventually metastasizes (spreads) to different parts to of the body. This disease annually affects women regardless of their culture and ethnicity. In regards to Hispanic women population, breast cancer acts more aggressive in comparison to other ethnicities (Kouri et al., 2010).…

    • 1265 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Breast Cancer Essay

    • 998 Words
    • 4 Pages

    The other warning signs include lump in breast or underarm, swelling in part of the breast, irritation or dimpling of breast skin, redness or flaky skin in the nipple area, pain in the breast area, any changes in size or the shape of the breast. Risk factors for the breast cancer are due to a combination of factors. According to the studies, the age of a woman is the biggest factor that influences the risk. Studies have shown that women who are 50 years old or older are greater risk for having breast cancer. Other risk factors include genetic mutations in which a woman will inherit genetic changes.…

    • 998 Words
    • 4 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    There are all sorts of different cancers that people tend to hear of. Cancer is abnormal cells that grow out of control and invade a healthy person’s body. When these cells do not grow normally things can go wrong. When cancer occurs it is because the cells divide more than they should and begin to form masses also known as tumors. According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, the most common type of cancer is breast cancer and is the second leading cause of cancer death in woman.…

    • 2405 Words
    • 10 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Breast Cancer Essay

    • 1001 Words
    • 5 Pages

    It is a disease characterized by the growth of malignant cells in the mammary glands ("Breast cancer." Britannica School). Breast cancer can strike anyone, male or female ("Breast cancer" Britannica School). According to the author “Most cancers in female breasts form shortly before, during, or after menopause, with three-quarters of all cases being diagnosed after age fifty”("Breast cancer" Britannica School ). But, a person can get breast cancer at any time during their life.…

    • 1001 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Additionally, the risk factors associated with breast cancer is illustrated by (Meade and Dowling 2012). Factors such as age, gender, reproductive history, hormonal factors and family history. Socioeconomic groups is presented to be directly related to the development of breast cancer. Women from higher socioeconomic groups have higher rates of breast cancer and women from lower socioeconomic groups have lower rates. Furthermore (Meade and Dowling 2012) talks about treatment option such as surgery, radiotherapy, systemic treatments, adjuvant chemotherapy and hormone manipulation.…

    • 2475 Words
    • 10 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Breast Cancer Breast cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among women. About 2.8 million women that live in United States have a history of breast cancer. The disease can be seen in men, but is more frequently seen in women. To give a better understanding about the cancer, I have decided to talk about the following; the symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and awareness of breast cancer. Having a mother who has had breast cancer will double their daughters risk of breast cancer.…

    • 1061 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Effects Of Breast Cancer

    • 1159 Words
    • 5 Pages

    These malignant cells develop due to damaged DNA or through genetic mutations in which some individuals inherit genes such as BRCA1, BRCA2, and P53 (Tang, Rangayyan, Xu, El Naqa, & Yang, 2009). Hence, an individual is at risk when a close relative has had breast cancer in the past. The presence of Estrogen and progesterone receptors in the infected breast encourages cell division and DNA’s replication; hence, drugs that can block the receptors are encouraged in treating lumps with the receptors. ER+ tumors are common in individuals that are in post menopause stage and lower in women, who are pre-menopause. Breast cancer progresses in a variety of stages, which begin with stage 0 (carcinoma in situ), then to stage 1, stage 11, stage 111A, stage 111B, stage 111C and finally stage IV (Taghian, 2012).…

    • 1159 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Generally, breast cancer begins to develop when normal breast cells grow into cancerous cells. They change as a consequence of mutations or changes in their DNA. Some mutations are inherited which makes family history a big risk factor. However, some of those DNA mutations are developed in breast cells during the lifetime of a woman instead of having it been inherited. Moreover, research has consistently shown that alcohol increases levels of estrogen and other hormones related to the hormone receptor positive breast cancer since alcohol damages DNA in cells.…

    • 1032 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    Has one ever faced a change in their breast, a thick feeling from the surrounding tissues or an unusual change in your nipples such as redness or scaling? Breast Cancer is a common disease that terrifies any man or woman that has been told they have it. “It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer”(How Many Women...?) There are different symptoms, risk factors, treatments, and test that occur with breast cancer. Revealing the current information on this disease will bring the awareness needed to combat it.…

    • 1145 Words
    • 5 Pages
    Decent Essays
  • Decent Essays

    The most effective way of early detection of breast cancer is by simply getting a mammogram, which is an x-ray picture of the breast. The recommended age to start getting them once a year is 50, but it is never too early to start. Mammograms have been shown to detect cancer up to two years before the tumor can be felt in the breast (Cancer Care). Other ways to detect breast cancer early on is by receiving clinical breast exams as well as self-breast exams. Women are given a clinical breast exam every time they go to the doctor for their yearly physical, but it is very important for them to perform themselves around once a month.…

    • 1379 Words
    • 6 Pages
    Decent Essays