Essay about Detergents

6007 Words Sep 19th, 2015 25 Pages
INDIAN DETERGENT INDUSTRY: NEED FOR NEW VARIANT TO TAP POTENTIAL GAPS
DR. RITESH K. PATEL
Assistant Professor, PG Research
Center for Governance Systems,
Gujarat Technological University,
Ahmedabad,
Email: visit_ritesh@yahoo.com, Mo.:
+91-9687100199.
ABSTRACT

The market of synthetic detergents was valued at about Rs 112 billion as of 2012-13 with a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3%. Out of this, the machine wash or automatic sales has been dominated by powder detergents, with a 98% share in the market, which has a size of Rs. 18700
Million. However, a much bigger segment of the market is the non-automatic or the hand-wash category, which has a size of Rs. 85466.8 Million and is also dominated by the powder
…show more content…
Forming an LP diagram from these, the key requisites were identified to be superior whiteness, washing machine usability, affordability, goodness for colored clothes and a few others. From these factors combinations were made and 4 product concepts were designed.

Keywords: Detergent Industry, Liquid Detergent, Potential Product, New Product Development, etc.
Introduction
Over the last decade, India has grown tremendously and so have the incomes of its people, with a larger chunk of the Indian demography moving into urban areas in search of better and more lucrative career options. With this advent, there has been a significant rise in consumer durables as well, with some of the earliest signs of this rise being shown by those which fulfilled the most basic of needs, like washing clothes.
As a result of this, there has been an influx of buyers in the detergent market, with more and more people buying washing machine powders. However, this constitutes only 20% of the population. There is the remaining 80% of them, around 200 million households, who wash their laundry by hand.
Figure 1: Categorization of the Indian Detergent Market

There are consumers who have just transitioned from hand-wash to machine-wash. They tend to have a limited laundry detergent budget. But, established washing machine powder brands such as P&G’s Ariel and
HUL’s Surf, are priced high and are not able to tap this segment of the consumers

Related Documents