Over half of students that were surveyed admitted to being bullied online. Thirty-three percent stated that they were threatened …show more content…
They may skip school and be unwilling to attend school. They can have low self-esteem and an increase in health problems. Their grades may be poor. In addition to being cyber bullied, they may also experience bullying in person. (stop bullying .gov.) A child being accepted by their peers is so vitally important to them. Cyber bullying can have a negative or destructive effect on its victim. A child can become hurt or intensely angry. This can also cause significant depression. (www.criminaljustice.ny.gov) Sadly, cyber bullying has also resulted in murder or even suicide. (stopcyberbullying.org)
In an effort to decrease cyber bullying, it is recommended that a parent closely monitor online activities. A child should be asked what they are doing and who they are doing it with. Passwords should be shared. Encourage a child to be honest about bullying. Let them know that they do not have to endure this behavior and that an adult must be told if this is happening. (stop bullying .gov.) Rules should be established at home. If necessary, parental controls should be set in attempt to prevent this type of …show more content…
• Exclusion - being excluded from a group.
• Harassment – electronic bully repeatedly sends insulting messages.
• Happy Slapping – new form of bullying where an unsuspected victim is attacked while being recorded. The video or image is then placed on line.
• Text wars – several people gang up on a victim and send hundreds of texts or emails.
• Online polls – asking readers to vote (eg. Who is the ugliest)
• Sending malicious code – intentionally damages the victims system or spies on the victim.
• Images or videos – photographs of victims taken in a bathroom or locker room.
• Griefing – chronically causing grief to members of an online community Cyber bullying is reportable to online service providers, cell phone companies, and law enforcement. This type of activity violates the terms of service of internet service providers and social media sites. You should report threats of violence, unauthorized videos, pornography and sexually explicit messages or photos, stalking, and hate crimes to the police. The school should also be notified of cyber bullying. Most schools have a zero tolerance policy to this type of behavior. (stop bullying .gov.) The slogan is, “Stop, block, and