Essay about Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease ( Copd )
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is the third leading cause of death in the United States and it is estimated that 12 million Americans have been diagnosed with COPD. It is a disease of the lungs that causes difficulty in breathing and is not curable.
COMMON TREATMENTS FOR COPD
Once you have been diagnosed with COPD, your doctor may suggest one or more of the following common options:
• Medications like Bronchodilators to help open the muscles around your airways and make it easier to breathe.
• Pulmonary rehabilitation to manage your disease with physical activity and counseling.
• Physical activity training teaches breathing exercises to strengthen the muscles that are needed for breathing.
• Lifestyle changes such as quitting smoking can help you manage the effects of COPD.
• Oxygen treatment is necessary when experiencing severe shortness of breath.
• Surgery - Patients with very severe COPD symptoms may need to undergo lung surgery to improve breathing.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for this lung disease, but there are alternative treatments that may help to relieve the symptoms of COPD.
ALTERNATIVE TREATMENTS FOR COPD
1. Good and proper nutrition - When living with COPD, good nutrition should be a top priority.
Foods that help COPD:
• Eat high-fiber foods made with whole grains instead of refined carbohydrates such as white bread.
• Drink more lower-fat milk with calcium, protein, vitamin D, and some fat to meet your daily calorie…