you like to (.)help me?
14. I: Uh Yes, I will write you (.) a >recommendation
15. letterrecommendation letter<?
22. P: Next month.(0.3)And °I am the (best) student in
23. your class.
24. I: Yes, I (.)remember you did well in your homework.
25. I will prepare it for you.
26. P: OK,(0.3)I won’t forget you.
27. I: That’s fine.
28. P: Bye bye.
29. I: bye bye.
In excerpt 3, the participant made the pre-expansion of introducing herself and complimenting the professor after greeting to minimise the negative effect of the upcoming request. After the flattery, she switched the topic directly to the request without telling the reason. The interlocutor further leaded her to tell the reason for the requirement of the recommendation letter. The reason for the small number of preliminary of preliminary might be the limited L2 language knowledge.
Delay 5 sec
Excerpt 4: Recommendation letter, advanced level
1. P: Hi professor (.) Liu (hh).
2. I: Hi, How can I help you today?
3. P: I am (name) and I am the one who wrote you the
4. email (.) to discuss with you about the
5. (.)recommendation letter.
6. I: Yes,en.
8. P: I’ve att:end your class last semester (.) and …show more content…
I: Yes, (.) and when do you need that recommendation
17. P: Um (0.4) next month is ok, I’m not in a hurry, so
18. (.)whenever you feel comfortable.
19. I: Okay I will do you that favour, no worries.
20. P: THANK YOU very much for your time!
21. I: En.Good, bye bye.
22. P: Bye bye.
Unlike the lower-intermediate level-ers, this L2 more proficient participant made a pre-announcement move in line 3-6 to notify the theme of the upcoming conversation after the summon in line 1. In line 8, 9 and 11, in order to give evidence of the cause of the next request, she offered another pre-announcement in line 12 and 13. The higher level participants produced reasonably more pre-expansion compared to lower level participants.
The pattern of the pre-expansion production with different L2 proficiency level profoundly conside with the outcome of Al-Gahtani and Roever (2013) that the higher L2 proficiency level expanded the length, content, and the complication of the pre-expansions.
Excerpt 5: Sharing note, lower-intermediate level
1. P: Hey Claire
2. I: Hi, how are you doing?
3. P: I’m not goo:d, (.) I have a problem.
4. I: um. what’s