Chin Augment?: What Is Chin Augmentation?
Chin augmentation is a surgical procedure done to change the shape or size of the chin and provide and improve the facial profile. It is achieved by inserting the right size and style facial implant to make the chin bigger or longer, in order to balance its proportion with the face.
Who needs chin augmentation?
People who have delicate or receding chins are the ones who usually consider this surgery, desiring an improvement in their looks.
These are the typical people who need, or are considering a chin augmentation:
- Those who want to increase the projection of their chin
- Those who want to enhance the definition and fullness of their cheeks
- Those who like to restore the inadequate contour to their facial …show more content…
How is it done?
This procedure does not usually need hospitalization. It can be performed in a hospital, the surgeon 's office, or an outpatient clinic.
Below are the step-by-step procedures to insert an implant to round out the chin.
1. x-rays will be taken of the face and chin, to determine the area to operate on.
2. General anesthesia may be given for a pain-free operation, numbing medicines will be administered to numb the area and induce calmness.
3. A cut is made to create a pocket where the implant will be placed.
4. The implant is usually fastened to the bone using sutures or screws.
5. The surgical cut is closed using sutures. The resulting scar will be barely visible.
In some cases, the surgeon may need to perform more steps, while patient is under anesthesia:
1. The surgeon will make a cut inside the mouth to get access to the chin bone.
2. A second cut is made through the jaw bone using a bone saw or chisel.
3. The jaw bone is moved and screwed in place.
4. The cut is closed with …show more content…
The risks of chin augmentation are very minimal, and the procedure itself is very simple. The surgery can be done with no hospitalization, and life can be back to normal within a short period of time.
The following can be expected:
- After the chin augmentation, it is very common to have bruises and swelling, and possible implant slightly moving out of position.
- The surgeon may prescribe pain medicines for some ache and tenderness.
- The external bandage will be removed within a week of after the procedure. A brace for sleeping might be required for about 4-6 weeks.
- A brace while sleeping may be required to be worn for 4-6 weeks.
- There may be a feeling of stretching around the chin in the following week, and a feeling of numbness in the chin for about 3 months. Based on the type of procedure, swelling will go away in 6 weeks.
- Light activities can be resumed on the same day of surgery, while work and other pursuits can be continued within 7-10 days.
The scar will not be noticeable, if the cut was made under the chin. If it was performed inside the mouth, the surgery will not show any scars.
Most implants are permanent, and sometimes even the implants taken from the body will be will be absorbed