Essay about chapter 18 study guide,
BIO 236 Nutrition Ch. 18
Nutrition- Study of the sources, actions, and interactions of nutrients. macronutrients- A nutrient (carbohydrate, lipid, and protein) required in a large amount. micronutrients- Nutrient (vitamin or mineral) required in small amount.
2. Nutrients that cannot be synthesized by humans, like some amino acids, are called ______essential___ nutrients.
3. List the 6 types of Vegetarian diets, including food restrictions.
Vegan- No animal foods
Ovo-vegetarian- Eggs allowed; no dairy or meat
Lacto-vegetarian- Dairy allowed; no meat
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian- Dairy and eggs allowed; no meat
Pesco-vegetarian- Dairy, Eggs, and fish …show more content…
18. What is a vitamin? Vitamins are organic compounds (other than carbohydrates, lipids, and proteins) required for normal metabolism that body cells cannot synthesize in adequate amounts.
19. What are the general characteristics of fat-soluble vitamins? (Vitamins A, D,E K)
Dissolve in fats
It can be destroyed by oxidations(expect Vitamin D) and is unstable in light
20. What are the general characteristics of water-soluble vitamins? (Vitamins B&C)
Cooking and food processing destroy some of them.
21. List the 4 fat soluble vitamin, their characteristics, functions, sources and what happens if you get too much or too little of each.
1. Vitamin A- Exist in several forms; synthesized from carotenes; stored in liver; stable in heat; unstable in light. An antioxidant necessary for synthesis of visual pigments, mucoproteins, and mucopolysaccharids; for normal development of bones and teeth; and