Causes And Treatments Of Teen Depression At Liberty High School

1313 Words 6 Pages
Teen Depression Among adolescents, one in eight may suffer from depression. A mere 30% receive any sort of intervention or treatment, and the other 70% simply struggle through the pain of mental illness. At Liberty High School we have 950 students. If this statistic applies, it means we have roughly 118 students dealing with depression. As of right now, there are no programs within the school to offer help to these students. Even though this is a nationwide problem, there are many kids at our school struggling with depression with no access to help. By establishing a small support group here at school, a big impact can be made. The issue at hand is, at Liberty High School, there are many students walking around, suffering from depression. …show more content…
All four have different characteristics and are brought on by different happenings in life. The four different types are psychotic, postpartum, seasonal affective disorder, and persistent depressive disorder. Also, people who serve in the military or armed forces are at a higher risk for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Most people seem to think that depression is just a state of sadness, but it is a lot more than that. Depression is a long period of time in which it can make people feel lost, irritable, lose interest in activities, cannot get out of bed, feeling “out of it” and so many more symptoms. People will naturally have days of feeling sad and upset but depression is having those feelings for an elongated period of time. Depression can be caused by many things including inherited genes, an imbalance of hormones, a traumatic life event, or an event that negatively affects someone. Back in the time of the Greeks and Romans, depression was known as “melancholia.” The word melancholy, today, is derived from this. Melancholia was treated with activities such as massages, music, and baths. Patients were also put on special diets and were given drinks of poppy extract and donkey milk, to help with symptoms of melancholia (depression). Melancholia was also seen as a sign of being possessed by the devil and in some cultures, exorcist like treatments were given. The first time a medication was used to treat …show more content…
The adult who is in charge should be a fellow teacher who has gone through depression and is willing to speak about it or, someone, like a counselor who knows a lot about depression. The group would be open to anyone who feels they are struggling with depression or who knows they are and do not know/do not have another way to seek help. The group would meet anywhere from two to three times a week and the meetings would be decided by the group members. In the meetings, people can sit in a circle and share what they are feeling and they can seek advice if they would like. There can also be a sharing of “remedies” that people use to help them cope with their depression that they think may help. The group could also be open to people who have overcome depression so that they can offer advice to the people currently experiencing it and show them that recovery is possible. Meetings are not mandatory, people only come when you would like/feel like you need to. Also, there can be a “mailbox” so people can have a penpal for support if they are too scared to come to the group in person. They can choose to keep their name a secret or give it to their pen pal. I believe this can significantly help the students of Liberty High School and would be greatly appreciated by the people who are

Related Documents