Case Study Essay
The Story of a Very HOT Tub
Elon University, Elon, NC
Part I—The Discovery
Cast of Characters
Roma and Clint Underhill—The hot couple
Kavita Dickson and Larry Gonzales—emt paramedics
Renee Volenbach—Physiologist in the Biology Department at Noletown University
Roma and Clint Underhill had both had a long day. They were the owners of a successful real estate company in Desert Palm. Each had several clients, and the strain of the current real estate market was getting to them. It had been an unusually cool day for January, with temperatures hovering around degrees. On coming home they decided to relax in their hot tub with some wine. While …show more content…
He went into the sunroom oﬀ of the patio to where the maid was being consoled by another oﬃcer.
“Ma’am, can you tell me if the Underhills were taking any medicine?”
“Well, sir, I know he was complaining about having to use the bathroom a lot since he returned from the doctor’s oﬃce about two weeks ago. You might look in the cabinet over the sink where they keep aspirin and such.” Sam looked where she indicated and found a recently ﬁlled bottle of Lasix.
Monday afternoon, the medical examiner phoned Sam with the following information:
• bal of the couple was .
• Roma weighed lbs; Clint weighed lbs
• Time of death estimated at am Saturday morning
• There was a therapeutic level of Lasix in Mr. Underhill’s blood, but none in Mrs. Underhill’s blood
1. Do you think that the couple died before or as a result of going under the water of the hot tub?
Explain your reasoning.
2. What is the eﬀect of Lasix on Mr. Underhill?
3. What is meant by “blood alcohol level” (also know as “blood alcohol concentration”)?
4. What are the general eﬀects of alcohol on the brain? On other parts of the body?
5. How fast is alcohol metabolized?
6. What are the eﬀects of a . bal on a lb man and on a lb woman?
“The Hot Tub Mystery” by Herbert House