Through to the 1920s, Mitchell-MacDonald Co. have a wood mill strategically placed about 1.5 km west of train tracks on the north side. They brought the logs from Crane into Blackstone by a small steamboat …show more content…
Well upstream where Horseshoe Lake empties into First, Second and Third Lakes and then Blackstone there was little to no water control till 1947. The Foley Council for April 8 took “consideration to the tourists on Horseshoe Lake by erecting a dock off the southwest end and a dam built at the outlet to maintain” the water level. By the 60 's there is a weir controlled by the Horseshoe cottagers.
The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR), interested in reducing the significant effort in maintain the two lakes levels through the seasons, droughts and heavy rains decide a new dam is required. Initially the lake level was to be reduced a substantial 18 cm to 198.38 m above sea level. Also no sluice for a 100 year flood and no consideration for the habitat downstream. With objections from cottagers and a new proposal was made by the MNR.
The dam proposal is accepted and the dam modified by the fall of 2010 for the cost of $300,000. The original 198.56 m water level is kept along with the sluice.
Sessional Papers Vol. LVIII Part 8, Province of Ontario, 1926 Sessional Papers Vol 74 Part III, Province of Ontario, 1942 Report of the Minister of Public Works,