Parents To Partners
Leadership roles will consist of a combination of professional Family Service staff members, volunteers and a core group of parents. A screening process will be developed for experienced (veteran) parents based on the following criteria1:
• Acceptance of their own child and adjustment to their family situation.
• Ability to reach out and provide support to other parents.
• Ability to cope with other people’s problems and a tolerance of values and feelings that may be different from their …show more content…
Once experienced (veteran) parents are selected, formal confidentiality consent forms will need to be signed before training sessions can commence. Training sessions will consist of the following2 :
• 1-3 hour training sessions (after work hours) over the course of several weeks in a group setting. Training schedule will fit around the preferences of the group members.
• Refreshments will be offered and perhaps a “pot-luck”, to make it easier and more enjoyable for participants to attend sessions.
• Consider the use of local community resource persons as speakers. Many professionals are often happy to talk with a Parent to Parent group if the subject is within their area of knowledge.
• Include content from the following content area: o Orientation to the Parent to Partners Program o Positive philosophy about persons with autism o Self-awareness activities o Information about Family Service Association of Bucks County o Information about community resources and the referral