Cabling Definitions Essay
N1T1310 Mr. Amos
Unit 4. Exercise 1. Cabling-Definitions.
1. Horizontal Cable-The cabling between and including the telecommunications outlet and the horizontal cross-connect. Horizontal cabling is considered the permanent portion of a link; may also be called horizontal wiring.
2. Backbone Cable-A cable connection between telecommunications or wiring closets, ﬂoor distribution terminals, entrance facilities, and equipment rooms either within or between buildings. This cable can service voice communications or data communications. In star-topology data networks, the backbone cable interconnects hubs and similar devices, as opposed to cables running between hub and …show more content…
7. Punch-Down Blocks- A generic name for any cross-connect block where the individual wires in UTP are placed into a terminal groove and “punched down” with special tool. The groove pierces the insulation and makes contact with the inner conductor. The punch-down operation may also trim the wire as it terminates. Punch downs are performed on telecommunications outlets, 66-blocks, and 110-blocks.Also called cut down.
8. Consolidation Points- A location deﬁned by the ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B standard for interconnection between horizontal cables that extends from building pathways and horizontal cables that extend into work area pathways. Often an entry point into modular furniture for voice and data cables. ISO/IEC 11801 deﬁnes this as a transition point (TP).
9. Crimpers-A device that is used to install a crimp-on connector. Crimping involves the act of using the crimping tool to install the connector.
10. Fish Tape-Also called ﬁsh cord. A tool used by electricians to route new wiring through walls and electrical conduit.
11. Cable Toner-is an electronic device used to verify the electrical connections in a cable or other wired assembly.
12. Continuity Tester-An uninterrupted pathway for electrical or optical signals.
13. Category 5e/6 cable-it consists of unshielded twisted pair with 100 ohm impedance and electrical