Essay on C181 Course Study Guide
C181: Survey of United States Constitution and Government
C181 Study Guide
*Also learn the ‘Flashcards’ for each Chapter in e-text.
1. What is sovereignty and how is it threatened in our globalized world?
2. What are the fundamental values of American democracy? How are these values show in the two dilemmas of government?
3. How do equality of opportunity, equality of outcome, and political equality differ? Provide examples. 4. What are the major purposes of government? Which is most controversial?
5. Using Figure 1.1 fill out the following chart:
Correspond to which
-Define the Economic
Corresponds to which political label in the U.S.?
Not …show more content…
-What are the key principles?
-Who are the key agents in this process?
4. Explain how social and economic groups relate to different ideologies and public opinions on major issues, as well as their general political participation.
Social and Economic
Women Men Race:
White Caucasian (or
Non-Latino Whites) African-American Native-Americans Ethnicity:
Latinos) Education Levels:
Highest (Ph.D.) Bachelor/Masters Low (High School or less)
High Low Religions:
Jews Catholics Protestants Non-religious -
Ideology & Public Opinions
Conservative, Liberal, etc. on major issues. Political Participation
How group generally votes & political party preference?
What media format do most Americans currently use to get the news?
What are the main consequences of private ownership of the Media?
Identify the ways in which the Government regulates the Media.
What are the functions of the Media in politics and government?
How does the Media influence citizens’ political knowledge and ideology?
Is there a liberal or conservative Media bias?
Does the Media advance freedom, order or equality?
1. What distinguishes conventional participation from unconventional political participation?
2. What major constitutional amendments expanded the rights of suffrage in the United States?
-How does the expansion of suffrage in the U.S compare with other