Book Review : Good Boss, Bad Boss: How to Be the Best…and Learn from the Worst
Objective: The objective of Dr. Robert Sutton’s “Good Boss, Bad Boss” is to establish the case for why bosses are vital to the health and success of an organization and a productive environment. His clear message is “Bosses Matter!” He establishes the hallmark of a great boss by answering the following three questions:
• If you want to be a Good Boss, what do you need to accomplish day after day?
• If you have a Bad Boss, what can you do about it?
• In short, what are the hallmarks of a Good Boss…..and worse flows of a Bad Boss?
Audience: We believe the book is an excellent read for anyone in the workplace, people who yearn to be skilled bosses or want to work for one.
General Theme: The book focuses on what best …show more content…
Ch3: What the Best Bosses Do - Strive to Be Wise
Chapter 3 is densely packed with insights, best practices and actionable advice on how to strive to be“Wise Boss” vs “Smart Boss”. Dr. Sutton offers his “11 Commandments for Wise Bosses” which are as follow:
11 Commandments for Wise Bosses
1. Have strong opinions and weakly held beliefs
2. Do not treat others as if they are idiots
3. Listen attentively to your people; don’t jut pretend to hear what they say
4. Ask a lot of good questions
5. Ask others for help and gratefully accept their assistance
6. Do not hesitate to say, "I don’t know."
7. Forgive people when they fail, remember the lessons, and teach them to everyone
8. Fight as if you are right, and listen as if you are wrong
9. Don’t hold grudges for losing an argument. Help the victors implement their ideas with all your might
According to Sutton, “Wise Bosses” have an attitude of wisdom which consists