Black Soldiers During The Civil War Essay examples
Black soldier -
1. Physical advantage: large numbers (manpower)/offered extensive support to the war effort; contributed greatly to the Union victory of the Civil War
2. Psychologically – Black soldiers were weapons of intimidation o Instilled fear
• “The bare sight of fifty thousand armed, and drilled black soldiers on the banks of the Mississippi, would end the rebellion at once” [primary source: Letter to Governor Andrew Johnson from President Abraham Lincoln]
Footnote: Abraham Lincoln, "Letter to Governor Andrew Johnson," Teaching American History (March 26, 1863), accessed February 28, 2016, http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/document/letter-to-governor-andrew-johnson/.
3. Fought bravely for their individual freedoms – fighting was a way of dispelling prejudices and demonstrating they deserved equal rights and opportunities as citizens of the United States
Main points: order of main points – you may want to start with military intelligence (military espionage), then non- combative roles, and most importantly, active combat roles.
• Active Combative roles: fought in the Army (focus on 54th Massachusetts Infantry) and in the Navy (Robert Smalls) o Army (Civil War was a ground war – many black soldiers fought tirelessly/vigorously in the fields/open battlefields)
• Frederick Douglass used his considerable…