Balance Literacy vs. Whole Language Essay
· Independent Reading is a time when students self-select and independently read appropriate books.
· Write Aloud, writing is modeled for students by teachers in write-aloud or modeled writing time.
· Shared Writing the teacher and class, or small group, work together to create written text.
· Guided Writing students creating their own writing, with the teacher as guide.
· Independent Writing provides students with the consistent opportunity to apply and practice the skills already introduced and to cultivate their love of and comfort with writing on their own level.
Phonemic awareness is an understanding about spoken language. Children who are phonemically aware can tell the teacher that bat is the word the teacher is representing by saying the three separate sounds in the word. They can tell you all the sounds in the spoken word dog. They can tell you that, if you take the last sound off cart you would have car.
Phonemic Awareness is the awareness that language is composed into small sounds and the ability to manipulate these sounds.
One of the most important foundations of reading success is phonemic awareness. Phonemes are the basic speech sounds that are represented by the letters of the alphabet, and phonemic awareness is the understanding that words are sequences