Arguments Of Favor Of The Ban On Tobacco Advertising Essay
· 1. Tobacco are compared to drugs like cocaine and the state had the right to intervene in the overall interest of the citizens.
· 2. The World Health Organization accounted for that tobacco related deaths went over 3 million in 1990 rising to 4.023 million in 1998. It was estimated to rise to 8.4 million in 2020 and 10 million by 2030.
· 3. Tobacco advertising leads to exploitation of minors. Citing the case of Camel cigarettes in United States, Camel was forced to withdraw the mascot, Joe Carmel, from advertisements after the California Supreme Court ruled that the company could be prosecuted for exploiting minors.
· 4. In India, analysts estimate that cigarettes contributed only 0.14% of the GDP while health costs translated to 0.21% of the GDP. The revenue logic of huge contribution did not seem to be valid.
· 5. Effective Policies to reduce smoking were likely to increase employment. When people stop smoking, the money is spent on other goods and services which creates more jobs.
· 6. A World Bank report pointed out that bans on advertising and promotion would prove effective only if they were comprehensive.
· 7. Department of Health, UK concluded that there is a significant effect on aggregate demand of tobacco products from tobacco advertising.
The following points are the arguments in opposition of the ban on…