Argumentative Essay On Supermodels

1226 Words 5 Pages
Register to read the introduction… Prominent bones are almost a prerequisite – the skinnier the better, some would say. For female editorial/high fashion modeling, the standards for models are currently set at a height of 5’8 to 6’0 and the weight range is 90 pounds to 120 pounds (Requirements for Being a Model). In fact, the majority of models are forced to diet relentlessly, exercise nonstop, and participate in other radical methods of achieving a – in some cases – cadaverous appearance. Obviously, the industry isn’t promoting a healthy or even practically possible standard for women and teens. Highly renowned supermodel Kate Moss one stated “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,” and due to her highly prominent position in society, this statement prompted many teenagers to take drastic measures to achieve this almost unattainable idea (Wardrop). How would one react to their biggest inspiration and hero announcing to the world that loving your body isn’t as important as being their definition of “skinny?” Many of today’s editorial fashion models have suffered from society’s standard-induced eating disorders, which is a serious problem. After being brainwashed by agencies and magazine editors, some models begin to possess a mindset of “skinny is better,” so they go to extreme measures – much like children and teenagers potentially do – to ensure their body to be as thin as …show more content…
Thanks to the fashion industry, teenagers face struggles to fit in if they aren’t included in the precise cookie-cutter socially accepted perception of beauty. This among other complications can lead to adolescents suffering from pressure-induced eating disorders and forms of depression. Thousands of children, teens and young adults suffer from these mental illnesses due to the fashion industry’s impact on the ideal body image. In fact, the body type portrayed in magazines and other outlets is possessed naturally by only 5% of American females. What about the other 95%? They’re unnecessarily attempting to become something they can never naturally become, degrading themselves one pound at a time. Furthermore, 69% of children and teenage-age girls reported that magazine pictures and supermodels influenced their idea of a perfect body shape (Eating Disorders 101 Guide: A Summary of Issues, Statistics and Resources). This means the vast majority of this demographic turns to the fashion industry for advice on how to look and even live, thanks to today’s

Related Documents