Applied Research Essay
Read the case study titled “Applied Research Technologies, Inc.” before starting this assignment.
Write a 3-4 page paper in which you:
1. Determine the leadership style that Peter Vyas exhibited as he considered the group’s proposal and provide examples of his behavior.
2. What leadership style did Vyas’ boss, Cynthia Jackson, exhibit as she considered the proposal?
3. Typify your leadership style and indicate how you would let your team know your response to this proposal.
4. Describe one (1) of your bosses who exhibited the same types of behaviors as Cynthia Jackson and explain how effective that leadership style fit the project. Your assignment must:
• Be typed, …show more content…
For Vyas, general manager of the Filtration Unit of Applied Research Technologies (ART), the request presented a major challenge. He recognized that his team had worked tirelessly to make this project a reality and strongly believed they were now headed in the right direction. But he also understood that the Filtration Unit’s track record of failure during this product’s development had hurt its credibility. If he supported the proposal, he knew he would be putting on the line not only his own personal credibility but also that of the entire unit.
Due to the project's size, final approval would be made by Vyas’s boss, Cynthia Jackson—the newly appointed vice president of ART’s Water Management Division. Jackson was acutely aware of the mounting losses in the Filtration Unit, and she had already devoted a significant amount of time trying to get them back on track. She had confided to one of her colleagues:
When I took on this assignment, I was told my first task was to “fix” the Filtration Unit. The unit only had one revenue-generating product line and had failed to bring a profitable new product to market in five years. It was clear that I was expected to either turn it around or