Essay on Age of Enlightenment and Course Materials
The purpose of this assignment is to help you develop the critical thinking skills necessary to write a basic, college-level analytical essay. You may type directly into this file and then upload when finished. Remember that you need to connect what you read in the book to what you are learning from other course materials to complete you answers.
Step I: Basic, factual analysis of a reading
1. List three examples of events/methods from Voltaire’s Candide which you believe best illustrate the issues related to the Scientific Revolution and to the Enlightenment.
a. The reaction of the Portuguese Inquisitor about the earthquake.
b. The lifestyle of people in El Dorado.
c. The despair of …show more content…
1. One key impact of the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment on European society:
2. One key impact of the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment on European politics:
3. One key impact of the Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment on European law:
Now broaden out your analysis to use other documents/textbook/readings or other non-textbook materials/lectures. Give two examples for each of the three categories above:
1. Scientific Revolution like Copernicus’s theories about the earth and sun, which the earth is not the center of our solar system. This went against the way that churches were teaching (Before, Plato believed that Earth was the center of the universe).
Also, Galileo Galilei with the discovery of telescope and the law of the pendulum, both prove that Aristole was wrong. Both of them prove that Church could be wrong in science by their scientific method and reason.
In the end, people began to ask themselves that what if they can understand other things in life by using scientific method and reason. Started back in 1500s, people went on to use reason,…