African Social & Political Thought Essay
QUESTION: TAKE ONE AFRICAN SOCIO-POLITICAL PHILOSOPHER AND DISCUSS:
A. HIS POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY
B. THE PROBLEM HE TRIED TO SOLVE
C. THE EXTENT TO WHICH HE WAS SUCCESSFUL.
African socialism was one of the earliest theories proffered by many African leaders at the outset of independence. Leaders such as Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, Julius Nyerere, Obafemi Awolowo and Leopold Senghor all supported this concept but had different approaches to it.
In this essay, my focus will be on Julius Nyerere and his approach to the idea of African socialism.
Julius Kambarage Nyerere was born on the 13thof April, 1922 in Butiama in then Tanganyika (Tanzania).As President of the United …show more content…
• It should be oriented to rural life.
• Teachers and students should engage together in productive activities and students should participate in the planning and decision-making process of organizing these activities.
• Productive work should become an integral part of the school curriculum and provide meaningful learning experience through the integration of theory and practice.
• The importance of examinations should be downgraded.
• Children should begin school at age 7 so that they would be old enough and sufficiently mature to engage in self-reliant and productive work when they leave school.
• Primary education should be complete in itself rather than merely serving as a means to higher education.
• Students should become self-confident and co-operative, and develop critical and inquiring minds.